Ford Launches Major Product Acceleration in Europe:
Targets Profitable Growth with New Cars, SUVs and CVs
• Ford launches aggressive new product rollout for Europe to target key European growth opportunities, including large cars, sport utility vehicles and commercial
• Ford expands SUV line-up with all-new Kuga this year, followed by the new Ford EcoSport and Ford Edge
• Complete redesign of Ford’s commercial vehicle range for Europe over next two years with breakthrough features and class-leading cost of ownership
• Fiesta, Europe’s best-selling small car, redesigned with a bolder exterior, refined interior and new technology including EcoBoost, Ford SYNC and MyKey
• Stylish, all-new Mondeo moves upmarket with five-door, wagon and four-door, including first-in-class petrol hybrid electric; 1.0-litre EcoBoost and all-wheel drive
• Mustang, the iconic American sports car, is coming to Europe
• Fifteen global vehicles will be on sale in Europe within five years, including EcoSport and Edge
• Ford of Europe will triple annual production of vehicles equipped with EcoBoost engines; 3.5 million SYNC-enabled vehicles will be on the roads of Europe by 2015
AMSTERDAM, Sept. 6, 2012 – Ford Motor Company today detailed an aggressive product acceleration in Europe leveraging the company’s One Ford global portfolio and targeting opportunities for growth in the large car, SUV and commercial vehicle segments.
Ford introduced a series of new passenger cars, commercial vehicles and new technologies at a special event in Amsterdam attended by 2,500 Ford dealers, employees and media.
The company also confirmed that several additional vehicles from its global portfolio will come to Europe in the near term – including the legendary American icon, the Ford Mustang.
“Even with the near-term business environment, Europe presents a significant opportunity for profitable growth,” said Ford President and CEO Alan Mulally. “Today, we are accelerating the introduction of our new products in Europe, leveraging our One Ford plan – with a full family of vehicles offering the very best quality, fuel efficiency, safety, smart design and value – just like we did when we transformed our business in North America.”
Ford of Europe’s product offensive saw the company today announce:
• New Fiesta – Europe’s best-selling small car – redesigned throughout and including the range-topping Fiesta ST performance car. The new Fiesta goes on sale this year with the Fiesta ST coming in 2013
• New Mondeo, a striking, refined new version of Ford’s large car featuring premium design and craftsmanship, and smart technology; equipped with award-winning, segment-first 1.0-litre EcoBoost petrol engine expected to deliver best-in-class fuel economy
• Expansion in the growing European SUV segment, starting with the all-new Kuga later this year; followed by the EcoSport small SUV within 18 months; and later, Edge, a larger, more premium utility vehicle that has proved successful in other regions
• A complete redesign of its commercial vehicle range over the next two years, including new Transit, Transit Custom, Transit Connect and Transit Courier – plus a
family of new Tourneo people carriers
• The Ford Mustang, the iconic American sports car, is coming to Europe
• An acceleration of the rollout of new technologies including EcoBoost engines, SYNC in-car connectivity, inflatable rear seat belts, MyKey and other driver assist technologies
“The European market holds potential for profitable growth that’s clouded at the moment by the economic crisis,” said Stephen Odell, Ford of Europe Chairman and CEO. “The total European car and CV market, including Russia, is expected to grow 20 percent in the next five years to 23 million vehicles. While others are backing off or cutting product investments, we at Ford are accelerating the introduction of new products, leveraging our One Ford global strengths.”
Ford unveiled the new Fiesta, taking Europe’s best-selling small car to a new level with a sharp new design inside and out, improved fuel efficiency and a host of new technologies including Ford SYNC, MyKey and Active City Stop. Fiesta will be available with the 2012 “International Engine of the Year” 1.0-litre EcoBoost petrol engine, a combination that is expected to deliver best-in-class fuel economy.
The new Fiesta, on sale later this year, features a power-dome bonnet and bold trapezoidal front grille bracketed by “laser-cut” headlamps with daytime LED running lamps.
The new three- and five-door Fiesta models join the new performance Fiesta ST, equipped with a 180PS 1.6-litre EcoBoost engine that delivers 20 percent more power, and a 20 percent reduction in CO2 compared to the previous Fiesta ST. The Fiesta ST is expected to deliver bestin-class fuel efficiency when it goes on sale in 2013.
Ford also confirmed that the all-new B-MAX small multi-activity vehicle will go sale next month. The B-MAX offers the exclusive Easy Access Door System with integrated B-pillar, offering a 1.5-metre unobstructed passenger opening, as well as SYNC and the 1.0-litre EcoBoost engine. The B-MAX will deliver best-in-class fuel economy in both petrol and diesel versions.
The stylish all-new Ford Mondeo offers striking design and premium-level interior craftsmanship. Uniquely for the large-car segment in Europe, it will feature Ford’s 1.0-litre EcoBoost petrol engine, which is expected to deliver best-in-class fuel economy.
Built on Ford’s global CD-segment platform, the refined new version of Ford’s large car will be available in four-door, five-door or wagon body styles, and a first-in-segment four-door petrol hybrid electric version, Ford’s first full hybrid electric car for the European market. A diesel allwheel-drive variant, offering superior traction, performance and handling, will be made available for the first time.
All-new Mondeo delivers segment-first adaptive full LED headlamps; SYNC with MyFord Touch, which includes an eight-inch colour touchscreen; and the introduction of segment-first rear inflatable seatbelts in Europe.
“The new Mondeo will change perceptions of Ford large cars by offering an unbeatable blend of premium design, craftsmanship and smart technology without the premium price,” said Raj Nair, Ford group vice president of Global Product Development.
With SUV sales expected to increase by 34 percent in Europe over the next five years. Ford plans to leverage its historic leadership in SUVs in North America and other regions around the world to quickly expand its line-up in Europe. Ford expects to sell more than one million SUVs in Europe in the next six years with SUVs accounting for one in ten of all Fords sold in the region by 2016.
It starts with the all-new Kuga on sale later this year. The Kuga offers a sharper design, improved package and more technology, including an innovative Ford hands-free lift gate that opens with a wave of a foot under the bumper.
Ford also announced today that the all-new EcoSport, a global small SUV, will go on sale within 18 months. Modern and innovative, the new Ford EcoSport was designed to combine best-inclass design, technology, quality, safety and value aimed at attracting a new generation of consumers who want the utility of an SUV in a smaller vehicle. It will come available with the acclaimed 1.0-litre EcoBoost engine.
The company also confirmed that the Edge – a larger, more premium crossover that is a success in North America and other markets – also will come to Europe.
“The expanding European SUV market is a unique opportunity for Ford and lands right in our sweet spot,” said Jim Farley, group vice president of Global Marketing, Sales and Service. “No other company can touch Ford’s expertise, global portfolio and credibility when it comes to SUVs.”
Commercial vehicle sales in Europe are forecast to grow by more than 30 percent to nearly 4 million a year by 2017, with the small CV segment growing by more than 70 percent.
In response, Ford is harnessing its global platform strategy and completely redesigning its entire commercial vehicle line-up for Europe over the next two years.
Ford today revealed the complete Transit family of commercial vehicles and people carriers that includes:
• All-new Transit Custom, primed to deliver style, driver appeal, class-leading load-carrying ability, Ford SYNC and best-in-class fuel economy to the one-tonne commercial vehicle segment. Transit Custom and Tourneo Custom go on sale this year
• All-new two-tonne global Transit, a functional, tough and innovative replacement for the existing Transit beginning next year. It also will replace the long-serving E-Series van in North America
• The all-new global compact Transit Connect, on course to deliver best-in-class fuel economy and CO2, whole life costs and security when it debuts next year
• Ford’s new entry into the fast-growing European small CV segment, the new Transit Courier. This compact, integrated van is based on Ford’s Global B platform and planned for sale in 2014
Ford also launched a new generation of smart and stylish passenger vehicles under the Tourneo brand. The new people mover range is spearheaded by the all-new Tourneo Connect – revealed for the first time – which joins the larger Tourneo Custom model in the revitalised lineup. Ford anticipates annual sales of 500,000 commercial vehicles per year by 2016, which would increase its share of the European CV market to more than 13 percent from 9.3 percent today.
“With the all-new One Ford commercial vehicle line-up, Ford will have the most comprehensive and most up-to-date line-up of CVs in Europe. No brand will offer wider coverage of the light and medium commercial vehicle segments than Ford,” Samardzich said. “We leveraged our global expertise into designing the new Transit family from the ground up with superb capability, best-in-class cost of ownership and amazing new features.”
Mustang coming to Europe
Ford today announced the legendary Mustang will go on sale in Europe.
“You only have to look at the incredible response to Mustang when it has appeared this summer at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, in the U.K., and at the Le Mans Classic, in France, to get a sense of the excitement this American icon generates across Europe,” Odell said. “The Mustang is uniquely Ford and has a huge fan base here in Europe. Now those fans have something to look forward to and we look forward to providing more details in the near future.
Environmental and technological leadership
Ford will rapidly expand the availability of EcoBoost petrol engine technology, low CO2 ECOnetic Technologies, vehicle electrification and driver assistance features:
• Ford’s 1.0-litre EcoBoost petrol engine will be made available in Fiesta later this year and then EcoSport and Mondeo, following its introduction to Focus, B-MAX; C-MAX and Grand C-MAX
• Two-thirds of all the company’s vehicles in Europe will be leaders, or among the very best, in terms of fuel efficiency by 2013
• Ford’s first ever zero emission passenger car for Europe, Focus Electric, will go on sale early next year
• The Ford Mondeo Hybrid, Ford’s first full hybrid-electric vehicle for Europe
• The Ford C-MAX Energi, Ford’s first plug-in hybrid electric vehicle
• SYNC, Ford’s popular in-car connectivity system is being quickly rolled out to European vehicles such as B-MAX, Focus, C-MAX, C-MAX Grand, Fiesta and Transit Custom. By
2015, there will be more than 3.5 million SYNC-enabled vehicles on the roads of Europe
• SYNC with MyFord Touch will debut on Focus Electric and be rolled out to vehicles including Mondeo; system understands up to 10,000 voice commands and includes an eight-inch colour touchscreen
• Emergency Assistance, Ford system that directly connects vehicle occupants to local emergency services operators after an accident, will be rolled out to vehicles including
Fiesta, Mondeo and EcoSport after debuting in B-MAX
• Active City Stop, already available in Focus is being rolled out to vehicles including B-MAX and Fiesta
# # #
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or
distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 168,000 employees and about 65 plants
worldwide, the company’s automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial
services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford’s products, please
visit http://corporate.ford.com .
Ford of Europe is responsible for producing, selling and servicing Ford brand vehicles in 51 individual
markets and employs approximately 66,000 employees. In addition to Ford Motor Credit Company, Ford
of Europe operations include Ford Customer Service Division and 22 manufacturing facilities, including
joint ventures. The first Ford cars were shipped to Europe in 1903 – the same year Ford Motor Company
was founded. European production started in 1911.